Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Letter

I wrote in to Kevin Cowherd of Baltimoresun:

Dear Mr.Cowherd

I am writing in to submit what I feel is the perfect nickname for Michael Phelps.

I believe that many people are too preoccupied with the idea that Ian Thorpe has the nickname of "Thorpedo", and hence Michael Phelps should have one with a "normal" word twisted with his name in it.

Therefore it is not apparent enough that using the most simple word can actually bring out the essence of Michael Phelps.

Hence I propose the nickname of The Dolphin.

"Dolphin", obviously, has the letters "ph" which is also pronounced "f", similar to "Phelps".

The dolphin also has similar characteristics displayed by Michael Phelps.

1. Most are playful by nature, after viewing clips and reading reports of his obsession with the XBox, I rest my case.

2. There are numerous incidents of dolphins rescuing people, like how Michael Phelps generously aids in charitable organisations.

3. The biggest threat of dolphins is man, and if I may boldly suggest, "Thorpedo" is "man-made", and this poses as the greatest threat to the "Dolphin".

4. Dolphins are able to swim up to 40km/hour, very fast for a marine mammal.

5. Dolphins cannot stay on shore (beached) for too long, Michael Phelps similarly needs to be in water everyday.

6. Dolphins can eat up to 100lbs. per day, and we all know what a big eater Michael Phelps is.

The above characteristics are done with research, hence I believe that its credibility stands.

I am the founder of the MPC (Michael Phelps Club). It is a non-profit community that not only supports Michael Phelps, but interacts with fun activities and discussions. It boosts nearly 100 members. Our weblog is http://michaelphelps.blogspot.com It would be an honour for you to view it.

Yours Sincerely,
-Christina Seet-
(Singapore)


Sure enough, I got a reply right next day.

Thanks, Christina. Quite a few readers have suggested the Dolphin, so
you're in good company. Kevin Cowherd


THAT'S ALL?!?! But I guess that's quite interesting. And to think Mr.Cowherd has met Michael Phelps face to face before, it is quite overwhelming!