Saturday, October 09, 2004

The back injury.

Holy crap. Seems like I really can't afford to stop posting news especially its the World Short Course Championships period. There's so much news of Michael Phelps now.
The following quotes are all by Michael Phelps, unless otherwise stated.



With Amanda Beard. Posted by Hello

On Friday, October 8th, Michael Phelps took part in the 200m Freestyle and won with a new United States 200 free short course record of 1:44.10 set by Josh Davis at Athens in 2000 with a 1 min, 43.59 secs with top qualifier Rick Say of Canada second in 1:44.39.


Kicks off the 200m Freestyle. Posted by Hello


In the pool with Ryan Lochte after winning it. Posted by Hello

"There are a few things I would change about that race but I'll take it. I wanted to go 1:44. I acheived my goal. I'm pretty happy right now."

Basketball legend Larry Bird, a Pacer executive, gave Phelps his gold medal.


He takes the Gold for 200m Freestyle from left: Rick Say from Canada, Phelps, Ryan Lochte (US) and Larry Bird. Posted by Hello

"How could you not (be thrilled)?" he said. Michael Phelps treasures a Pacer jersey signed by Bird.

I think the jersey is this one, cos that's Larry Bird beside him. Posted by Hello

"I'm going to have a little memorabilia room in my house. That's one of the first things that goes up on the wall."


Points at a fan at the podium, unfortunately, not me. Posted by Hello

OK. Now for the important news. Very important.

It seems that Michael Phelps further injured his back in this race, and worsened overnight, and his back has reportedly been bothering him for 1½ weeks. He was using physical therapy and ice to treat the soreness. He said the problem was caused by travelling by bus and sitting for several hours a day during the Disney Swim with the Stars tour with Ian Crocker and Lenny Krayzelburg.


He announces his withdrawal, positively upset. Posted by Hello

The U.S. team issued a statement early Friday saying he had withdrawn from the 400m individual medley heats but would receive treatment during the day and hoped to swim the relay later in the evening.


Manages a smile... Posted by Hello

When his back did not respond to treatment, team doctor Jim Johnson consulted with experts and made the decision to pull Phelps out of the entire meeting.

"As the medical director for USA Swimming, I have elected to withdraw Michael from the remainder of this competition," Johnson told reporters. "He has a slight back injury...and we don't want to take the risk of it worsening over the next three days.

"He's 19, he's got a long career ahead of him and we don't want to take any undue risk to his health."


A concerned Phelps said he accepted the decision of the doctors and wanted to take every precaution having seen first hand how a back injury can end a career.

"My sister was a world class swimmer and had back injuries and it put her out of swimming," said Phelps. "These guys (doctors) know what they're talking about.

"I agree with them 100 percent. If this is something that could hurt my future in the sport, then this is the best decision."

"Hopefully I have a long career ahead of me and we can get this thing worked out.

"It is something you have to be really cautious with...your back especially."

"I would rather not discuss it but it is my back. I just don't want to go into too many details, we're not really sure what it is."


Michael Phelps announcing his withdrawal from the World Swimming Championships in Indianapolis at Conseco Fieldhouse, October 8, 2004. Posted by Hello

"I wanted to play it by ear and get in the water and swim and see what would happen."

"It felt decent coming into the meet but it started tightening up right after we got off the plane. Sitting on the plane for a few hours coming here, I don't think it helped."

"I wanted to get out that first 100. I knew Rick was going too. I wanted to go out with him," Phelps said. "I was feeling pretty bad the last 75m. I was definitely in pain but I was satisfied with the time."

The US men won the 4x100 freestyle relay, 0.39secs off the world record set by Sweden in 2000. They might have claimed the mark had Phelps participated. He was asked to swim but said coach Bob Bowman did not approve.

"I was (going to swim) but I wanted my coach to decide."

He admitted he still feels tired after his Olympic performance.
"There's probably going to be a lot of tough races," he said. "I'm glad I have one under the belt."

And he ended up quitting the whole Championships though earlier in the day, he only pulled out of the 400m individual medley to seek treatment in Baltimore for further evaluation and treatment. He had planned to swim in the evening's 800 freestyle relay final, but was advised against it.

"I'm done here for good. I've decided not to chance anything."

"It's something we don't want to play with because my sister had a back problem and it put her out of swimming for good. Hopefully in a few weeks or days this will all be over with."

"You can probably tell this is one of the most disappointing things I've had happen."


After the press conference. Posted by Hello

The short course championships was supposed to be the last major meet of the year for Michael Phelps, who is planning to move to University of Michigan next month with his coach, Bob Bowman.

Michael Phelps was "the main attraction of the meet" and was scheduled to swim in all 10 sessions in the temporary pool constructed on the floor of the cavernous Conseco Field House.

Ok I feel that it is quite serious about injuries. We all know how badly things went for many a sportsman because of them, and I am definitely not disappointed that Michael Phelps has withdrawn from the championships. Would anyone like to send something to Michael Phelps for his speedy recovery or something? I think it is quite hard to find his contact though. If anyone has any idea, PLEASE tell me.

I'm concluding the current poll and I am adding a new one, which is titled "Do you think Michael Phelps should have withdrawn from the WSCC?" to find out about YOUR opinion.

Therefore the conclusion of the "Which part of Michael Phelps are you attracted to most?" poll is as follows:

Out of 150 voters,

elusive EYES-17 (11%)
kissable LIPS-12 (8%)
choppy SMILE-34 (22%)
rosy CHEEKS-2 (1%)
cute EARS-4 (2%)
2m ARMS-6 (4%)
huge TORSO-33 (22%)
sexy HIPS-21 (14%)
slim LEGS-1 (0%)
A CERTAIN SOMEWHERE-20 (13%)

Ok I'm quite shocked to see the CERTAIN SOMEWHERE having a bulk of the votes, but... hahaha... thanks for voting in this poll. Enjoy the next poll!